2017-06-28

As missionaries, we share a unique message. We look (or try to) for every opportunity to talk to people about it. But there's a reason we look for people to talk to!  Here's why:

On Sunday my companion and I were heading to church. Because of how far away it is, we have to take a bus to get there. We had been held up earlier (he just took kind of long to get ready this day) so we got out to the bus stop later than usual. We missed the 10:35 bus we always catch, so we caught the next one. When we got on, there was this 25 year old girl kind of near the back, and she had Happy Birthday balloons and flowers! I sat down right by her and asked, "so it's your birthday today huh?!" and she told me, "No, actually it's my grandpa's. I'm heading to his grave to put these down, and say hi to my dad too." Usually, when things like that happen and someone tells me someone died, I automatically go into consoling mode. Tell them I'm sorry for them and whatnot, but some prompting came over me and instead of a knee-jerk response, something else came out. I asked, "well tell me some stories about your grandpa! Y'all must have been close." So she starts telling me all about him. About fond memories, and how she's felt since he's been gone. I ask her about her dad, and how it's been since both of the men have left her life. She proceeded to tell me about how hard it's been. How she's had a lot of animosity, especially towards God for taking her family away. She told me of her search. She started going to church, and got baptized hoping that it would bring her answers and just peace of mind. But she didn't find any answers, not any that would help her understand why God would take her family away, and the fact that she wouldn't know them or be part of a family with them seemed to truly ache with her. 
 
I had such a wonderful time talking with this girl about God's plan, restored through the priesthood, and the Prophet Joseph Smith. That through that power, families can be together forever. The phrase "until death do us part" doesn't exist in His church. I let her know that God loves her, and even though her family isn't with her here anymore, she can still feel so much joy from them, and know that she CAN be with them again. I gave her something to read to help answer some of her questions. And I gave her the number of the Sister Missionaries and told her to call them. She did, right then. And that night she met with them and now is attending church and has already found a lot of joy. I know that as she continues to follow the Spirit, and works diligently, she can come to know of the truthfulness of Joseph Smith. She can come to know that The Book of Mormon is truly another Testament of Jesus Christ, and that the Church of Jesus Christ is the only church with the authority of God here on the earth today.

The happiness that was so evident on Loraine's face was undeniable. If you asked her, she'd tell you how her life has changed. Those souls are why I love being a missionary. I know that our message will help every person, no matter their problems. Even if they don't have any.

--
Elder Pier Dick
New York New York North Mission
Portuguese
700 White Plains Rd STE 315
Scarsdale, NY 10583

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017-01-17

7/28/16 - Life in the MTC

2017-04-21